Write about Asthma here.
• Chronic airway disease
• Episodes of reversible airway narrowing
• Recurrent episodes of dyspnoea, cough and wheeze
• Affects 5-8% of the population
• Modern, urban, economically developed society -> increased occurrence of asthma
• Migration from low risk area to high risk area confers increased risk
• Wall of airway in asthma is thickened by oedema, cellular infiltration, increased smooth-muscle mass and glands.
• Progresses to Remodelling of the airway, and fibrosis of the airway wall, fixed narrowing of the airway and a reduced response to bronchodilator medication
• Beta blockers, salicylates and NSAIDs can cause bronchoconstriction in asthmatics. Salicylates and NSAIDs block the arachidonic acid metabolism (from prostaglandin pathway to leukotriene pathway).
• 2000 deaths/year (though may only be 1000), of which 50% are > 65 years old